Wednesday, June 1

Skip Yowell

A few days ago,  I met Skip Yowell, co-founder of Jansport.  He's a cool dude-- an old hippie who made it.  And he gave the keynote address to the 2011 Philmont staff.

In 1967,  Skips' cousin Murray created an innovative aluminum-frame pack.  It proved successful and they both decided to make and market more.  They needed someone to sew the packs, so Skip's cousin made a deal to his girlfriend, Jan.  If Jan sewed the packs, Murray would not only marry Jan, but he would name the company after her.


Skip has an awesome story, documented in his book: "The Hippie Guide to Climbing the Corporate Latter & Other Mountains".  I got a copy.  He signed it.  He also signed my Jansport backpack...

2 comments:

  1. I love that Jansport has a lifetime warranty. Just mail it in and they'll fix it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I asked about that, because the pack in the photo has a broken zipper... I was pleased to find out it is easily fixable.

    ReplyDelete