Monday, May 23

Delay, Delay, Delay

So, I booked my plane tickets months ago.  My first working day at Philmont was May 21, so I needed to be there May 20.  I got up early, went to the Erie airport, said goodbye and then boarded the plane.  Moments later, I would find out that there would be a two-hour delay due to fog in Detroit.  

 

I knew I would miss all my connecting flights, so they re-booked me for the next morning.  It all worked out--I had an extra day to get ready, relax, and have an epic bonfire.  

Next morning, I try again.  I made it to Detroit after another minor delay, then sprinted to make the next flight.  I made it with five minutes to spare.  Now, onward to Minneapolis.  We landed, and as I got off the plane, I noticed a certain darkness in most of the airport.  The escalators weren't running either.  Yes, the power was out.  And no, my plane wasn't taking off.
 
Some accused the rapture of occurring a few hours early.  One negative Nancy complained non-stop about not being with her dogs.  In an attempt to figure out what was going on, I, a grandmother-like lady named Margaret, and Mackenzie, a college junior heading to a Christian camp, went to the "light side" of the airport, where there was power.  

We got in line.  Mackenzie and me called Margaret "mom" after a while; we were like her adopted children.  And when we got to the airline agent, Margret made sure we were all taken care of.  Mackenzie and I were booked on a flight to Colorado Springs the next day.  Margaret was booked on another flight.  

We stayed at a hotel two blocks away from the Mall of America.  Never been there before, so that was exciting.  I mingled with some Minnesota folks and found a Packer store called Rybicki Cheese.  They sold Wisconsin cheese too.  After dinner, I went to bed.  What a couple of days...

Day three began, as Mackenzie and I caught the shuttle to the airport.  Made it through security, went to the gate, and everything was fine.  Another minor delay, but we actually landed in Colorado Springs (though our baggage did not).  Mackenzie found her ride.  We said goodbye.  She was like my twin sister for the past two days. 



1 comment: