Monday, July 4

Best Vacation Ever

My brother Matt, our friend Dom, and I embarked upon an epic adventure in Colorado Springs.  


First, we hiked around Garden of the Gods, an amazing city park full of natural landscapes and unique rock formations.  


Then we got a glimpse of our next stop-- Pike's Peak-- through the rock.  The day was partly cloudy, but we figured we'd give the summit of Pike's Peak a shot. 



We took a train up-- on the Cog railway.  It was scenic and got progressively colder as the ride went on.  


But it was worth our few-hour journey.  The top was amazing, all 14,110 feet of it.  


The next day, Matt, Dom, and I went rafting in Clear Creek-- the same creek Coors Brewing Company gets it's water to make its beverages.  Anyway, I'd never been whitewater rafting in a creek before.  It's quite exciting and consistently action-packed, given the creek's narrowness.  


While we were in the area, we decided to take a tour of the Coors Brewing facility in Golden, Colorado.  Matt got free samples.  I had root beer.  


The next morning, we headed to Seven Falls, a natural attraction near Garden of the Gods.  


Matt and I went exploring and found an eighth waterfall.  (I wonder if they knew about that one.)


And off we went, into the wild blue yonder-- all the way to the United States Air Force Academy.  


The cadet's chapel was magnificent, complete with a modern, aeronautical design.  The inside was just as amazing as the exterior.  A promenade filled with bronze models of historic Air Force planes was located nearby.  We checked out those too.  


 The adventure wasn't complete without an encounter with the police.  Matt was pulled over by the only cop car in Cimarron, New Mexico (just outside of Philmont).  I warned him, but he didn't listen.  45 in a 35... cost him a light donation to the Village of Cimarron.  He wasn't too happy.


But neither of us were not happy to end our most excellent vacation.  But all things end eventually, and work and other visitors were calling me back to Philmont.  Nonetheless, it was one of the best vacations I've ever had.  

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it rewarding to be on top of the mountain? This vacation is full of adventure. Water rafting can get your adrenaline rushing rapidly. :-) I wish I can try that too.

    ReplyDelete